Saturday, July 22, 2006

Another heart warming story

Subject: Recent death of my Grandsons' grandfather

I have been meaning to send this to you for some weeks but the time seems
to get away from me everyday. I wanted to pass on a little something my
7 year old grandson said after receiving a quilt that Dee Watson made.

She had given me 4 to let my two grandsons, Jimmy, age 11 and Matt, age
7, to each pick one following the recent death of their grandfather (my
daughter-in-law's father). I set them down in our living room floor and
explained to them that Project Linus often presented children with a
blanket to help them through their sadness and as a way to remember their
grandfather. They were both well aware of the work I do making blankets
for Linus so they understood about the organization. I told them that
every time they used the blanket they would remember their grandfather
and know he had loved them very much. Matt had a hard time picking from
the four as he liked them all but Jimmy quickly picked one with different
fish scenes all over it. They were all so beautiful I can well
understand Matt's problem with choosing the one he finally settled on.

My daughter-in-law told me the next day at the funeral, that Matt had
come down that morning to the kitchen all wrapped up in his quilt. His
mother said "Matt, do you really like your new blanket"? He told her
that he knew his Grandpa was up in Heaven but he was all wrapped up in
his love.

And fellow blanketeers, that is why we do the work we do!

Matt could not have put it better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home